Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

BFP Fantasies

It gets really discouraging to see a negative pregnancy test every month, but I have lots of fantasies about what it will be like to finally see that elusive second line. In my head, I take the test on a Saturday or Sunday morning, when my husband and I are both home. I take the test, expecting to receive the usual negative reading, but am flabbergasted when a second line appears. I will probably be speechless for a moment or two and then will start calling for my husband - we don't get overly excited about many things so he will run to the bathroom, thinking that something is wrong because my voice will probably be slightly hysterical. I will hold up the test for him to see, utter an incoherent phrase about us becoming parents and then cry tears of joy. This scene replays a lot in my mind as I suffer through a two week wait.

I also fantasize about who we will tell first. I think it's only fair that we tell his parents first since this will be their first grandchild. I imagine presenting them with a little gift bag of baby toys and saying that they will be needing these items in their home very soon. The ultimate would be giving my mother-in-law a Mother's Day card that says "Congrats! You're going to be a grandma!" (Or doing the same for my father-in-law for Father's Day). I can't wait to see the look on their faces when we tell them.

Next up we'll have to tell my family. Ideally, we will all be together for a holiday or birthday party and I can make an announcement to a room full of people. If no family get-togethers are imminent I may just have to spill the beans to my sister beforehand. She has been incredibly supportive during my TTC journey. Plus, we've gotten really close since our mom's death. I'm really looking forward to her reaction. My sister-in-laws will probably also provide very entertaining reactions. The guys in my family aren't very expressive so I'm not anticipating much there. Although, I could be wrong - my dad surprised me at my wedding. I had never seen him cry before, at any time in my life, and he sobbed through the ceremony. 

It's dangerous spending so much time thinking about his, but also so deliciously fun to imagine everyone's joy. I'm sure I'm not the only one who fantasizes about this. How do you ladies plan to tell the important people in your lives?

1 comment:

  1. I hope you get your chance to enact this fantasy soon! It sounds perfect. Mine is along the same track, except it's a weekday, and I wait to test until my husband has left for the day, and then I call him the minute he arrives at work and ask him to come home straight away ... and then it goes as you describe. Ahh!

    ReplyDelete